Skip to main content

Central Administration

Central Administration Office

Cheyenne Mountain School District 12
1775 LaClede Street
Colorado Springs, Colorado  80905
Voice:  719-475-6100
Fax:  719-475-6106
Hours: Mon. - Thurs. 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Fri. 7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.

D12 Central Administration Building
Contact John Fogarty  John Fogarty Assistant Superintendent for Student Achievement
Contact Carolena Steen  Carolena Steen Assistant Superintendent for Student Services
Contact Greg Miller  Greg Miller District Staff
Contact Natalie Morin  Natalie Morin Executive Director of Business Services
Contact David Strehlow  David Strehlow Director of Facilities

District 12 Organizational Chart

Click on the image below to view the Cheyenne Mountain School District 12 Leadership organizational chart.

Organizational Chart

Directions to Central Administration

Exit from I-25 onto S. Tejon Street (Exit 140).  Drive south on Tejon Street (in the right lane) for about .5 miles and take a slight right at the stoplight onto W. Cheyenne Blvd.  Drive west on W. Cheyenne Blvd approximately .5 miles and turn right onto LaClede Street. Drive north approximately 100 yards, and the District 12 offices will be on your right at 1775 LaClede Street.

Map to central admin office

A Message From Our Superintendent

Dr. Walt Cooper
Dr. Walt Cooper
(Dr. Cooper's Bio)

Organizations publishing comparisons of schools and school districts based on student performance has become commonplace in today’s digital and data rich environment.  There is an inherent flaw in the methodology of most of these rankings, however, because they typically rely on “high level” data that is easily accessible on public websites.  Most often, this data represents mathematical averages across a number of grade levels, various students groups, and in many cases multiple schools. Rarely does the data accurately illustrate a school’s performance on smaller groups of students or schools.  For example, the performance of students with disabilities, who may account for less than 10% of a district’s population, can very easily be masked by the performance of the remaining 90% of non-disabled students. The same can be said for percentages of students who don’t speak English, or those who live in poverty, or those who are gifted and talented.

An exception to this typical methodology can be found in a report issued by A+ Colorado, a Denver-based non-profit organization that strives to drive conversations on school improvement with school performance data. This report, entitled, “The Outliers: The State of Colorado School Districts 2018” attempts to highlight districts who perform far above (or far below) their peers on a litany of measures that drill much farther down into student performance data in an effort to eliminate the effect of large-scale averages.

I was honored to be one of four Colorado superintendents invited to sit on a panel for the public release of “The Outliers...” as the Cheyenne Mountain School District was a district district highlighted as being a positive “Outlier” compared to our peers on these granular measures.  A sampling of data that lead to this distinction included Cheyenne Mountain Junior High posting the highest literacy scores in the Colorado. The report also highlighted District 12 having the third highest graduation rate among students with disabilities and for having the second highest percentage of Latino students in the state matriculating to college.  D-12 was listed as tying with Littleton, Academy 20, and Douglas County School Districts for percentage of all graduates attending college, but more importantly D-12 was recognized as having one of the lowest percentages of students needing remediation during their first year of college. Only the Bennett, Aspen, and East Grand School Districts ranked ahead of Cheyenne Mountain in this category.  

For those interested in viewing the full version of “The Outliers” report and other studies published by A+ Colorado, they can be downloaded at